Get a dose of fresh air and some scenic views — tailoring for walkers and more intensive hikers alike.
Yes — you can also hike in Belgium! Part of Belgian's one and only national park, get those legs moving in Terhill's easy walking and hiking trails which are very clearly labeled (yay!). Luscious greenery is covering what once was the spoil tips from the local coal mine 25 years ago (a spoil tip - locally known as a Terril - is a pile built of accumulated waste materials removed during mining). In the middle of where the mine used to be is a beautiful man-made lake (Grote Plas).
- 8 routes marked by colour ranging from 1.4km to 13km; something for everyone with different levels.
- If you're looking for an easy walk - choose the blue and/or green trail for the 1st viewpoint with some amazing expansive views.
- If you're keen to do a bit of a trek, do the purple tour of 13km (about 3 hours) and you'll go to the opposite end of the park to the other highest Terril and viewpoint. Note that it's a steep incline at one point so swap to the yellow route on this end if you're looking for an easier hike.
- Pack a lunch and take a break to picnic during a longer hike or drink and grab a snack at the bar.
- Mountain biking is also possible on dedicated trails.
If you're spent after a day of walking and hiking, you can enjoy quite a few activities around:
- Grab a drink (including the local beer) or snack (including the famous limburg pie, known locally as vlaai) at the bar right next to the welcome centre.
- A large playground for the kiddos at the entrance.
- Terhills Cable park: you can grab a drink/food there on a nice patio, wakeboard and/or ski on a cable around the lake and on Wed/Sat/Sun have fun on the inflatable water playground (note you have to exit the park to do so and drive to the Terhills cable park parking).
- Elaisa Wellness: get fancy schmancy in this beautiful wellness centre. Sauna it up or treat yourself to a massage (Note you should reserve ahead and you need to park at the dedicated Elaisa Welness lot),
- Maasmechelen Village Outlets is nearby if you're keen to indulge that shopping itch.
- Terhills Resort (part of Center parcs): if you're keen to stay for a few days, check out the beautiful family friendly resort here. Make sure you book ahead of time as it books up fast during school holidays.
- The resort was previously named Connecterra - it was renamed to Terhills in 2021.